Friday, November 11, 2011

Planning for Thanksgiving

When you're planning to feed 13 people but your oven is barely big enough to fit a 5kg turkey, some serious foresight is required.  Yes, I admit it.  I'm a planner.  And Thanksgiving is the ultimate excuse to show off my skills :)

Sunday before Thanksgiving:  roast mixed nuts in a savory blend of herbs and spices for pre-turkey snacking, roast walnuts for the salad and cinnamon rolls, make the cornbread, visit various grocery stores around town in search of ingredients

Monday:  submit an order for vegetables through a great local NGO that procures hard-to-find veggies (like fresh sage and arugula)

Tuesday:  bake pumpkin and sweet potato pies, prepare dough for fresh bread, dry rub the (hopefully defrosted) American turkey

Wednesday:  prepare cinnamon rolls, brine the Armenian turkey, make creamed corn, wash/prepare the salad, bake the bread, make spinach artichoke dip, toast pita bread, peel the potatoes (soak in water overnight)

Thursday:  roast the turkeys (one in my oven, one in our neighbor's), make the mashed potatoes, stuffing,  green beans, carrots, cranberry sauce, and gravy

I can't wait!

1 comment:

this is not a joke said...

Sounds amazing!

Glad you're keeping Thanksgiving alive in Armenia. It is basically the most American holiday ever. I love it!