Friday, September 21, 2007

Two months to go

Reading about the systematic destruction of the Plains Indians in bed last night, snuggled in with Gizmo by my side, it hit me: we're leaving Denver in exactly two months. D.C. here we come. I'm so unprepared. Saddled with 18-credits, work and life, I have no idea when we'll pack let alone deal with things like utility bills and change of address. The moving van is reserved however...and for a quite a steal, if I do say so myself. So at least we're moving in the right direction. As for an apartment...well...it's still a little early. Not that we're not thinking about it though. If anyone knows anyone who has a friend who has an apartment in D.C., let me know!

As for D.C., now that I've put in my notice with SmarterTravel I can dish about my new job. I'll be working as a program officer in the secondary schools division of an organization called American Councils. My job will be to help coordinate some of the many federal and private youth exchanges that occur between the U.S. and the former U.S.S.R. I'm really excited for lots of reasons, personal and professional. Personally, I'm looking forward to having my nights and weekends marginally free. No more homework. Ura! Professionally, I'm excited to put all this travel and education to good use.

So for the next 9 weeks I'll be concentrating on keeping my sanity and enjoying the final days of the awesomeness that is Denver. We're already plotting how to get as much Colorado microbrew into the moving van as possible. It's a shame to leave...this really is an amazing place to live. I think the move is made even weirder by the fact that D.C. will likely become our permanent home base. Even if we end up overseas in the future (which I hope we will), I think we'll be calling D.C. "home." For someone who's had wandering feet for the last ten years, that's very strange indeed.

No comments: