Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Little victories

Anyone who's ever lived overseas knows that sometimes the smallest victories or discoveries are, in fact, a big deal. Today was a particularly fruitful day.

While looking for a certain grocery store (which I did not find) I discovered a bakery that sells frosting and cake pans. Where were you when I was trying to make Christmas cookies?

I also stumbled across a store just like LUSH called Fresh Line that sells organic cosmetics and lotions. I know where I'm headed once my stash of Dream Cream runs out.

Unlike DC (or Ukraine for that matter), Armenia still gives away plastic shopping bags for free. I hate plastic bags, so I bring my own canvas totes. Armenians think it is a little weird when I say, "I don't need bags. I have some." They usually respond by individually bagging each item in plastic and then putting all the bags in my canvas tote -- but today a small victory.  No plastic at all.

Last but not least, I successfully made an appointment - in Russian - over the phone. Considering I'm not a big fan of the phone in English, this is a big step for me. She even seemed to understand everything I said.

No comments: