Yesterday at 12:30pm, I received a call from the GSO's office: "Do you want to move today?" "Give me three hours," was my reply. Immediately after I put the phone down, I began a frantic rush to clean the suburban mansion and pack all clothes, food and toiletries. We had originally planned to move today, so I hadn't expected the rush. It was well worth it.
Last night, for the first time since arriving in Armenia, Nick and I walked out our front door and into civilization. People on the streets! Holiday decorations lighting up the night! In a burst of exuberance, I bought a $2 string of psychedelic Christmas lights to hang in our kitchen window from an old lady on the street near our building. We'll see how long they last. I'm not very optimistic, but they're fun.
Today I spent the day unpacking and putting things away. One of the perks of being unemployed is having the time to debate which cupboard should hold my spices versus which is better suited for glassware. Given that it might be the end of January before my security clearance comes through, we should have the nicest apartment in Yerevan by then. Next on the list is procuring a sweet rug for the living room.
We have a guest room/study with a pullout couch and view of the mountains. Visitors are a very welcome!
2 comments:
That's awesome!
Merry Christmas, RaeJean! We put a card with some pictures in the mail last week... you'll probably get it sometime in 2012. :-)
Post a Comment