Wednesday, November 17, 2010

(Strange?) Things I'm going to miss about the US

With just four days left in 'Merica, I guess I'm starting to feel a bit sentimental.  Nick and I have been gorging ourselves on our favorite foods and everything's starting to take on a "this is our last chance to..." urgency.  Having lived overseas twice now, once in York, England, and the other time in Ukraine, I have some idea of the things I'm going to miss.  In no particular order:

Eggnog.  Lattes, spiked with cognac in my grandparent's kitchen on Christmas morning, and straight form the carton at 2am.
Whole Foods.  Yes, I know I'm heading to the home of the organic apricot and pomegranate, but I just love spending hours in WF.  Thankfully, I'll have bazaars to wander through.  I hope they let me touch and sniff things :)
Understanding what's going on around me.
A variety of ethnic food restaurants so wide as to cater to any whim or mood.  Again, Armenian food is supposed to be amazing (in part due to its relationship with my other favorite food -- Turkish), but the prospect of eating the same thing all the time is well, boring.  At least in theory.  I'll report back later.
Litter free streets and parks.  A sad reality of the developing world is that garbage roams free.
HBO. 
Frank Sinatra singing Christmas music and Santa Claus (not 'Ded Moroz' or that slutty purported grandaughter of his).  I will not however, miss tacky Christmas lawn decorations.
Drivers who generally obey traffic rules (i.e. don't aim for pedestrians).
My friends and family.  Yes, SKYPE makes it easy but the sad reality is that a lot of people are bad at staying in touch.

Over the next few days, I plan to drink as many eggnog lattes as possible while listening to Christmas music (thankfully Caribou Coffee makes this easy...as Christmas music is currently playing) and planning where to eat Ethiopian food. Then I'll walk down the street eavesdropping on the conversations around me while carelessly crossing the street. I may even throw in a True Blood marathon for good measure.  Wish me luck!

No comments: