Thursday, July 12, 2007

I know I’ve mentioned it before, but I really can’t get over it. I don’t know what it is about this place, but I’m smitten. Sure, my everyday commute to work involves dodging ginormous (yes, it’s officially a word now) potholes in the sidewalk – not to mention cars – yes, they’re on the sidewalks too. And sure, you shouldn’t really drink the water. Corruption, alcoholism, and general body odor on the metro are also a little less than to be desired. But then there’s the evening stroll down Khreshchatyk, meeting up with friends to talk about “normal” things like relationships, hopes and dreams – not just politics or US/Ukraine relations, late nights out at pulsing nightclubs coupled with early mornings in beer gardens, or cracking a joke with the friendly man selling tomatoes in the bazaar, not to mention the linguistic triumphs: learning a new word and using it correctly (a challenge when every word has like 5 billion endings), or having someone giggle with delight when you say “smoked sausage” just like a Western Ukrainian. I love it. I love all of it.

There’s something so rewarding about being able to call yourself American, yet have the privilege of traveling/working/residing in the country of your ancestors. I don’t think I’m more patriotic than when I’m overseas. It’s weird for me to say that because those who know me know that I can be critical of well, everything. I was having a beer with a Ukrainian friend on Sunday, and he was telling me all about the foreigners he knew in Kyiv. Then he told me, “RaeJean…you are a very good representative of the U.S. You are honest. And you make me like your country very much.” I’m not bragging by repeating this; I’m just trying to explain what it feels like to be here and why I like being here so much. Personally, professionally, emotionally…it’s all here – except for Nick and Gizmo, of course. If they were here it’d be perfect.

It’s not all stary-eyed delight, however. I am sad to be missing some of the summer’s big events. Three weddings top the list – congrats to you all (Kirsten & Richard, Ashley & Eric, Kat & Paco). I can’t believe I’ve only made it to two in the past four years…and mostly due to Ukraine getting in the way. It can also be hard to be away from my family, especially my grandparents – who, bless them, aren’t getting any younger. But life is about choices, right? I know mine and Nick’s seem a little off-kilter to many of you, but we’re happy that you continue to love and support us. I can’t wait to see many of you during the Labor Day holiday when I’ll finally be on the East Coast for more than a few hours. Laura – any word on those Red Sox tickets?! :)

No comments: